Monday, October 13, 2008

Road trip to Houston, part 2

Slept in today. Was still on the road by 7am. My family members don't appreciate my singing skills, so I took full advantage of the solitude on the road. "Wichita Lineman", "The City of New Orleans", "I am just an Okie from Muskogee", songs from the musical "Oklahoma", and others echoed inside my truck. On one of the rougher concrete roads, my tremulo was incredible.

Haven't paid over $2.99 for gas. Lowest was $2.49, but that contained ethanol. Saw this sign, or similar signs, at some stations in Oklahoma and Texas, "We proudly sell gasoline with NO ethanol". Saw working oil pumps at several locations along the way in Oklahome and Texas. Saw 2 drilling rigs.

Numbers must have different meanings in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area. Apparently 60 means 80, and 70 means 90.

Arrived at Jack's house in Austin a little after 5:30 pm. Now it is time to dine and tell stories!