Friday, February 13, 2009

Day 122 Gulf of Mexico

Friday, 2/13/2009, sunny, warm and smooth. Last night, we signed and finger printed new picture ID cards. At 1015, there was surface fog for a short time. Late this morning, the ship passed from the Caribbean into the Gulf of Mexico, through the choke point between Cuba and the Yucatan. Also late this morning, the ship stopped dead in the water, and more crew members received steering training. I can still wear shorts and a tee shirt on my walks to the focsl.

The image today is 'Taking the plunge in the Panama Canal'. The ship is in the upper chamber of the Miraflores lock. This was before breakfast. The pool is saltwater. The canal is fresh water. Thanks to George Klucsarits, who took this picture on Wednesday. I'm getting shaggy and will need a haircut when I get home. We are scheduled to arrive in Galveston early Sunday, New Orleans after that, and if the schedule holds, I will disembark the following Sunday in Houston.