Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Day 48 Mediterranean Sea

Tuesday, overcast, sunny midday, turning to haze. We are still north of Libya at the 0800 position fixing. Will be above Egypt soon. ETA at Port Said is tomorrow. Arrival time is assigned, and speed is adjusted to arrive at the assigned time.

I did 2 loads of laundry this morning, and have clean socks and tee-shirts for another 10 days. After lunch, I walked to the focsl and read for an hour. The sounds of the wind and the waves are relaxing and comforting to me. I enjoy sitting at the very front of the ship, especially when the sun is shinning. The wind is still strong from the starboard fore quarter, but the seas are not very rough, and there are few whitecaps. I see only one other ship, far ahead. There are more dry spots on the deck today, and the battle against rust has resumed with chipping and grinding and painting.

I am reading The Wreck of the Medusa, an unflattering true story of the 1816 French Navy. I can only read a page or two of this book before I have to put it down for a while. It was one of a collection of books left to me by the previous Electrician. I started a novel last night, the first fiction I have read in a while.