Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Day 56 Indian Ocean

Wednesday, another beautiful day on tropical waters. Had salt spray on both windows this morning. Early visibility was down to about 5 miles due to low fog. Clear higher up, changing to towering cumulo-nimbus with sun peeking through later. Last night: Moderate roll.

My communication link to this BLOG failed yesterday. After a phone call to the satellite phone support number, I was able to temporarily resolve the problem. If the link fails again, there may be gaps, and postings may become shorter. Plan B involves voice mail and more work for my support team. Testing today went well, and perhaps the hardware will behave. Also had some other unplanned events last evening.

Stowed the winter blanket from my bed this morning. Sea water temp is 28C here. The pool is empty. I hear it will be refilled before the upcoming 'Equator Crossing Event'. Our course crosses the Maldives. We get these extraordinary pastries some days. Got my daily fix of the focsl today after lunch. Almost always have it to myself. I put on plenty of sun screen, even though there was little direct sun. There was moderate roll, but no whitecaps. Saw no fish or birds today. Yesterday, there were small black sea birds. If I did this again, I would bring a sea bird guide. Only have 2 days left of the book on ipod. A crewman related an experience on another ship. A stowaway was detected. Any crew is usually able to detect a stowaway within a day, and the method is interesting.