Saturday, December 13, 2008

Day 59 Indian Ocean - Southern Hemisphere

Saturday, overcast, light rain early, mild roll today. Overnight we crossed the Equator. Had an easy night, with only mild roll. This morning, we had drills. For passengers, that meant 3 decks down to the muster station, then 2 decks back up and get strapped into the escape pod-life boat. Here in warmer waters, I only bring my hard hat and life vest, not the immersion suit.

The sun peeked out once today, that I noticed. I was on the focsl at the time, and got to see that magnificent blue water color again. Saw no birds and no fish today. Heard a new noise. The water was turned on in the anchor chain tubes, to flush out the mud. I have not applied sunscreen to my legs, and they are not red, but they feel like they are burned sometimes The night skies have not been clear for a while, but I don't think it is possible to see Polaris, the North Star, anymore. As we have traveled farther south, I discovered that my star guide is only for the northern hemisphere Doesn't matter much, because our time south of the Equator is less than a week. It is time to start taking malaria medication. We had roast piglet at the barbeque party tonight, in the Blue Bar on the Pilot Deck I had more than 1900 calories today. There was karaoke, but I had to leave. I notice the pool has been refilled, possibly for Equator rites later tonight?