Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Day 49 Port Said, Egypt

Wednesday, today was a fine day, sunny, clear, and warmer. The sky is still clear and starry this evening. This was our last day on the Mediterranean Sea. We arrived in Port Said after 1800. Because of timing, we will not dock or go ashore here. Later, we will join a convoy and begin the passage through the Suez Canal. There is a lake part way through the canal. A super bright spotlight has been mounted where I like to stand on the focsl. This is required for canal passage, so the bridge can see the ship in front, or anything else. The inner bulb consumes some incredible amount of watts, and requires a compressed air line for cooling.

I spent an hour and a half on the focsl today after lunch, listening to a 'book on ipod', The Man Who Loved China, non-fiction about Needham. I washed my windows this morning. The ship's limited supply of merlot is gone. I tried the Crane Lake cabernet, a California wine. It is harsh, but worked fine for cleaning glass. My opinion. I'm sure the same could be said about 2 buck chuck.