Saturday, December 6, 2008

Day 52 Red Sea

Saturday, hazy turning to sunny, then back to hazy. Decks were wet this morning, either from a shower or condensation. It is more humid now. I keep the side curtain closed during the hot part of the day now, to help keep my cabin from heating up. When I woke this morning, my mouth was watering for a slider and a senior coffee at Blake Rd & Hwy 7. Had my weekend breakfast this birthday morning. Almost made it through the day without anyone finding out. I think another person has their birthday today also. There was some minor celebration. Free soft drinks and beer at supper.

Early afternoon on the focsl, it was quite warm. Very smooth sailing today. It was another great day at sea. The swells appear to be less than 4 ft, but are complex, coming from more than 1 direction. Listened to the book on ipod some more. When I came back to the accomodation structure, I dragged out the deck chair on the Pilot Deck and listened some more. Yesterday and today on the focsl, I noticed that the wind and air moving through the railing has a sound much like the wind through the branches 'up north' at home.

At supper time, the pool is almost full. Crew members are very happy and waiting. I will take a dip tomorrow, before or after breakfast. As I thought, it is salt water. Finished reading 'Wreck of the Medusa'. According to French doctor Alain Bombard, if you are shipwrecked in tropical waters, it is ok to drink up to 1-1/2 pints of sea water the first 5 days, if you catch and eat fish after that. Fishes' bodies contain fresh water. The limited amount of sea water helps maintain electrolytes.