Monday, October 20, 2008

Arrived in New Orleans, early evening

During the night, the ship crossed the Gulf of Mexico, into a head wind.
Today is the 3rd sunny day.

In the waters south of New Orleans, there are many oil platforms.
Watched a helicopter land on a platform close to the ship. The local
channel pilots earn their money here. The path to the mouth of the
breakwater is not straight forward. Transit of the channel takes all day,
more than 10 hours. Birds!

The colors of the channel buoys bring back a phrase I learned in Navy
boot camp: "RED, RIGHT, RETURNING." The other side is green.

The narrow strip of land on either side is low and covered with salt
marsh grasses. The land on either side of the channel gradually widens.
After noon, there are some trees.

There are some empty, idle ships.10/20/2008 18:47 PM

Lunch was boiled beef and boiled vegetables. I could not finish my
serving, and decided to take a nap. Maybe I'll start doing a few situps
or pushups. Tomorrow. There are many oil refineries, but it no longer
smells bad.

Passed the French Quarter and Downtown. Arrived at dock after 6pm.

Supper was a pork chop, with veggies and rice. There were fresh baked
macaroons. I had 2. I'm going to have to cut down to 2 meals a day.

The sun was very red. I watched it disappear.