Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Day 14 Philadelphia

Looking on my special spreadsheet, I see that Day 14 is a Wednesday.
I think I'll have to make a modification in late January, when we go
across the International Date Line.

Late last night, we entered the calm Delaware River and made the 6 hour
transit to a dock near Philadelphia.

This morning was cold. I dressed in layers. Went ashore at 1000. The
protocol is that I must notify the duty officer when I go ashore or
return. I have my own ship picture ID card now. Makes it easier to get
through port security.

I saw the Liberty Bell and Constitution Hall. It is a little different
than the Nicholas Cage movie. By luck, we had an incredible Park
Service guide and lecturer.

Afterwards, I went to the Philadelphia Museum of Art. It is quite
good. I like to see it all, and travelled through all the galleries,
over the course of the afternoon. I linger when I see something I like,
or when my hip gets too sore to stand. Bought some more Aleve later on.

I like art that I can identify the subject. There are a few exceptions.
Scribbles and paint splotches and grey paintings with a string just
don't cut it. You know what I'm talking about. The 'Greater Fool
Theory' is obviously alive and operational in art, and was until
recently in real estate.

Most of the Medieval art and Italian art is religious, because the
church was the only patron of the arts. Around 1600, the French, Dutch,
and Flemish artists began to paint ordinary people and landscapes.

I particularly like Monet, Pissarro, and Cezanne. There are many below
my radar, or not worthy on mention. Other pleasing pieces included the
works of Degas, Boudin, Dali, Renoir, Chagal, Gauguin, Picasso, Gris,
Manet, Toulouse-Lautrec, and even Mondrian. If Mondrian can sell stuff,
so can I.

There were a few American artsts that I liked; Eakins, Wyeth, Metcalf,
Garber, Homer, Chambers, Kelly.(I could do Kelly.) About half the
American gallery was furniture. American glass is not even close to
Venitian glass.

Bijay, PMA has a few items from the Malla period of Kathmandu, Nepal.

Made 2 stops before I returned to the ship. Dinner at a nice, but
expensive Italian restaurant, and a supermarket.

The view through my aft window is downtown Philadelphia. The sky tonight
is supposed to be clear.