Thursday, October 16, 2008

The first day

Watched dock workers load large sheets of steel into a barge. Ask me
about this when I get back.

Dining for passengers is in the Officers' mess, assigned seating.
Breakfast at 7:30
Lunch at 12:00
Dinner at 5:30

After dinner, I received personal familiarization training. Toured
the bridge. For drills, besides my life jacket, I need to bring my
immersion suit and hard hat. Practiced strapping into my assigned seat
in the escape pod.

Immersion suit instructions:
1. Jump in with legs
2. Close foot tapes tightly
3. Pull hood over head
4. Close main and arm zippers
5. Enter water feet first

Safety and survival on this ship far surpass what I experienced on the
Antarctica cruise ship.

Watched movie 1 of 86 from Dave's iPod.

Tonight, the ship will reposition from dock 25 to probably dock 23. If
you use Google Earth, remember the images are sometimes 3 or more years
old.