Friday, October 31, 2008

Day 16 Philadelphia 3

Friday.
Clear and sunny and warmer.

Today is the day of the week when I get fresh sheets and towels, and
throw rugs. The mattress is covered with a regular sheet. The bed
cover, in the European style, is a duvet. About the third day, I was
also given a 'winter' blanket of wool.

After my first few visits to Japan, I began leaving my shoes at the
door. I have adopted a similar practice followed by many of the crew,
of leaving my shoes in the passageway. The passageway and stair floors
are covered with a green, rubbery material, with a pattern of raised
round spots for traction. The cabin floors are covered with carpet.
Mine is a dark blue-gray-black.

The lines of sight are such that I can see the downtown Philadelphia
skyline when I am sitting on the stool.

Finished laundry. Had to split it into 2 loads. The steward loaned me
a clothes line, so I have trousers and shirts and tee shirts hanging all
over my room. It is time to flip everything over. I don't think this
would work well at sea.

We had been playing tag with a sister ship, but it left early today.

Cargo work continues. We are slightly delayed for a minor repair.
Could leave sometime tomorrow, possibly early.

The Delaware River is obviously still tidal this far up, because at
midday, the water is flowing upstream.

While there is often interesting traffic on the river, it is not nearly
as busy as the Mississippi River in New Orleans.

I'm going to go read on the bridge for a while, and watch cargo
operations.