Sunday, October 19, 2008

Under way!

It is another pleasant, sunny day in Houston. Breakfast was 1 egg
scrambled, 1 piece of bacon, 2 toasts, coffee. Usually, I only have
toast and coffee.

In the dining room, I am learning a few words of Polish, Romanian, and
Tagalog.

I am the only passenger. Everyone is friendly and helpful.

We began going down the Houston Ship Channel about 9 am. I spent a lot
of the day on the Pilot Deck or Navigation Deck with camera and
binoculars. There were many interesting ships and other harbor sights.
Not doing so well on the reading today.

Two port pilots came on board. Before he took over, I talked with the
pilot who navigated the 2nd half of the route. We shared some
interesting experiences about the bottom of the world.

The ship cleared the channel, into the large bay about 11 am. It was
almost 2 pm when we passed Galveston and cleared the final breakwater.
The pilots left in the pilot boat soon after.

Around 3 pm, there were drills for general alarm, abandon ship, and
fire. I went to the muster station with my life jacket, hard hat, and
immersion suit. We did the escape pod drill. Just like the dinner
table, I have an assigned seat. Because the pod is at a 45 degree
angle, we lie almost on our backs, and have a 3 way strap in. Because
of the normal ship vibrations, it was easy to visualize an Apollo
blastoff.

Now, we are crossing part of the Gulf of Mexico, on the way to New
Orleans. Found the officer's laundry machines.