Sunday, October 26, 2008

Day 11, Dockside West Palm Beach

Last night the ship tied up dockside at 1935.

The ship did not roll last night. There was a gentle rain, all night
long.

My side is away from our dock. The next pier on my side has about 500
containers. Most are lined up neatly in rows, with space between each
row, so a special lifter with long legs can pick them up.

The area outside the gate is reputed to be a very bad neighborhood.
Ship's crew are not permitted to leave the ship here. I can go ashore
if I wish. I was cautioned to only travel by taxi here. I opted to
stay on the ship.

The activity is intense. I watched for a while from the bridge today.
Most holds were open. I saw no containers move. The term 'heavy lift'
is used: large castings, large wooden crates. Further west, I can see a
large transformer on a special trailer with 64 tires and 8 axels. Not
sure if it is coming or going, but it is BIG.

Finished reading Dante's 'Inferno' a few minutes ago. The Zappulla
translation is easy to read. One might draw the conclusion that most of
the people in hell are Italians. I thought the punishment described for
senators who accept lobbyist contributions was appropriate. The book
has 134 cantos (chapters) of verse, varying in length from 114 to 159
lines. Enough! It will leave my cabin tonight. Thankfully, I did not
buy the two sequels. I'd have to be incredibly bored to read them.
This ends my journey through Italian classics.