Saturday, October 18, 2008

Saturday

Lost the day of the week for most of yesterday. Figured it out at
bedtime.

Today is clear and sunny.

I like my cabin. Top deck, starboard-aft corner, all 17 sq meters,
including the bath room. On my main website freighter cruise page,
there is a link to the Maris magazine. The September 2008 issue in the
archives is about this specific route. There are pictures of a cabin
like mine. Cabin 612 is the mirror image of mine.

Yesterday, the steward brought me some goodies, including instant
coffee, and an electric billie. If you have been down under, you know
what an electric billie is. Each meal menu has 5 courses. The food is
hearty and plentiful. The crew works hard and usually enjoys all 5. I
have determined that I should probably cut down to 2 if I don't want to
get fat.

Watched 8 stevedores and 2 machine operators across the channel this
morning. They loaded steel ingots from Mexico onto 2 barges.
Apparently, a lot of waiting and standing around is required, so it must
be necessary to sit down and rest frequently. When the crane operator
runs an ingot into the side of the concrete pier, the concrete gives.

I brought some small, light binoculars. Birds are plentiful. Next
time, I'll bring a sea bird book. I recognize the sea gulls, and maybe
an albatross.