Thursday, October 16, 2008

Road trip to Houston, part 3

I slept well, and got up at 5:45 am. We were on the road by 6:30,
driving to downtown Austin first. The drive to Houston was overcast
and pleasant. Stopped for colaches half way.

After clearing security at the Houston City Docks, I drove right up
to the ship, parking along side. Jack carried my book suitcase, the
heaviest. The steward took my luggage up the other 5 decks to my
cabin.

Presented my documents to the Captain. Jack asked if he could see the
ship and was granted a visitor badge. The Captain gratiously invited
him to stay and have lunch. Lunch was salad, soup, steak, vegetables,
and fruit. Afterwards, Jack drove my truck back to Austin.

I'm mostly unpacked, and ready to read.

The port and dock area have a lot of debris, perhaps from the recent
hurricane.