Friday, October 24, 2008

Day 9, Atlantic Ocean

At sea, at night, the wake and the stack are lighted. The company logo
and flag are painted on the side of the stack. Not sure why the wake is
lighted, but I like to watch it. The foam from the ship moving
through the water and the turbulence from the screw gradually fade away
behind the ship. There are also fading circles of foam on either side
of the wake from the big splashes when the bow cuts a swell.

We made the first time zone change last night. The ship's clocks are
all changed from the Bridge. The change happens slowly, over several
hours. There was some discussion about this at the dinner table last
night. It was suggested that people who circle the globe on an
eastbound ship live an extra day. I think it is more correct to say
that we experience an additional sunset and sunrise over the course of
the trip. I asked if crew members were paid an extra day, and the
answer was 'no'.

We had drills again this morning. After the roll call at the general
alarm drill, we did the life boat drill again. After that, the crew had
another training exercise. My emergency duties are anything the Chief
Mate assigns to me, and he has always assigned me to go to the Bridge
and drink coffee. The real result is that he knows where I am, and I am
out of the way, in a safe place. I noticed this morning that there is
also a basketball basket on the deck where we muster.

Today, we came around the Florida Peninsula, through the Bay of Florida,
into the Atlantic Ocean. The sailing has been smoother today. I think
the swells are further apart. We are scheduled to drop anchor around 6 pm
local at West Palm Beach.

I remember few words of Tagalog from my Navy days, and many that I
remember, I do not find in the phrase book.