Sunday, January 25, 2009

Day 102 North Pacific

Sunday, 1/25/2009, rainy and overcast all day, with fog on the horizon. The sea water is warm and the air moving above it is cooler. The party last night was to recognize the new Captain. The food was plentiful and tasty. Stars were not visible. Afterwards, I finished watching the movie 'The Queen'. Lunch today was steak, fries, and broccoli. For me, that was half a steak. I skipped the soup, but had the dessert of ice cream and fruit. After lunch, I walked to the focsl. The wind from the north was brisk on the focsl. The deck crew was not working today, so I walked 5 laps, about a mile and a quarter. Be prepared! I wore my full rain gear and stayed dry. The ship is making good time. As the ship moves further into the Pacific, the swells are increasing, but still not bad. There are a few white caps now, and the tops are being blown off by the wind. Saw a bird at 16:30, a sea eagle, I think. Because the Pacific is so large, there are often small swells from more than one direction, from storms far away. Supper tonight was pizza with red and green peppers and black olives. My dreams tonight will be interesting.

Time advances another hour tonight to the time of the Solomon Islands and New Caledonia. We are 17 hours ahead of CST now. Many of the coming days will be similar on this journey across the North Pacific. I'm going to start attaching more images. Today's image is the ship's escape-pod life boat. A drill was scheduled yesterday afternoon, but was cancelled because of the weather. Capacity is 36. The crew totals 26 and there are 3 passengers, so we all get a seat.