Friday, January 2, 2009

Day 79 East China Sea

Friday, overcast and cold. Temperature is 7 degrees C. I put on the wool blanket last night. I did not go to the focsl today. Duty officer confirmed that the storm yesterday was Beaufort scale 9. The roll meter incorrectly registered 30 degrees overnight, perhaps because of some of the hard swell impacts at the bow. There continues to be little roll because the swells are from the front. In the morning, the swells are still 5 to 6 meters. Today, the ship passed from the Taiwan Strait into the East China Sea. During late afternoon, we pass through scores of fishing boats. As the swells moderate, the ship resumes speed.

My corner cabin has 2 outside walls and the space above the ceiling is unheated. Midmorning, the temp was down to 18C. I tried turning on the heater in the bathroom, and it works now. Also, the air coming out of the ceiling vent is no longer cold. ETA for Shanghai is 1300 1/3/09, depending on the ship's speed. Starting 1/4/09, I will be off the ship for 10 days. Please check back on 1/14/09, when I will begin filling in the missing days with my mainland adventures. I will not be with the ship when it visits Dalian or Xingang. I will rejoin the ship, when it makes its final stop in Shanghai before leaving China.

Finished reading Fiddlers by McBain today. Tonight, I opened the first bottle of Chile cabernet that I bought in Hong Kong. It is ok. Chocolate supply may be enough for the duration. Finished the soynuts from home today.