Thursday, January 15, 2009

Day 90 Shanghai

Tuesday, sunny, cold, and hazy. After another great breakfast, I take a taxi to the Taikang Road art area. After walking around and looking for a while, I began the hour and a half walk back to hotel. I follow my shadow north, sometimes stair stepping the blocks to the east to get through. When I am tired at Shanghai Times Square, I look up and see a Starbucks. It is time for another Chinese cranberry muffin.

Part of the next trek takes me up a pedestrian overpass. The north wind is biting. I see a man playing an instrument that makes a sound like a violin. It is a long stick with strings stretched from top to bottom, which he plays with a bow. The cross street which bisects People's Square has a pedestrian underpass, which connects to the large subway station beneath People's Square. I come out across from the hotel. I exchange my remaining Yuan for 40 dollars.

After dinner, I call fellow passenger George on the ship, who confirms that the ship has docked. I am saddened to learn that one of our passengers is flying home tonight because of a medical problem. Also, a crewman with pneumonia will be sent home tomorrow. The upcoming passage across the North Pacific without hospital support would be too much risk for either of them.