Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Day 106 Western Hemisphere, No Pacific

Wednesday, 1/28/2009, cool and pleasant. The sky turned blue and sunny this afternoon. My tropical tan has been fading for the last month. I sat on the Pilot Deck and enjoyed the sun on my face for a few minutes. There is some roll and wind, but the sea is almost glassy, with no white caps. Clouds rolled in at sunset. Last night, there were stars overhead and to the north! The south was hazy. Again, this is our second Wednesday because of crossing the International Date Line. I upload my posts after supper, so they will appear after 11 pm CST, gradually getting earlier.

Hawaiian toast was offered this morning for breakfast. It reminded me of a Hawaiian hamburger. It was a thin slice of ham on toast with a pineapple ring, and a piece of cheese melted over the top. I had only one and it was tasty. I suspect in Hawaii, they would use that canned meat product from Minnesota. All the gadgets went dead at the same time. Had to recharge the iPod overnight, then the satellite phone, and finally the laptop. Walked to the Focsl after lunch. I'm probably in trouble with the deck crew. I didn't notice until too late that one spot of deck paint was still tacky. I finished the big sudoku book. Tonight, I'm going to watch the 2nd half of 'Cowboys' with John Wayne. I hope tomorrow is Thursday. Today's picture is of the chains on the ship used to secure the cargo to the deck. Sometimes nylon straps are used depending on the size and weight of the cargo needing securing.