Thursday, January 15, 2009

Day 88 Shanghai

Sunday, sunny, clear and cold. I walk to the other side of People's Square and find the Shanghai Museum. I must walk to the other side to enter. I think this is a feng shue thing. Two more young couples try to do the tea ceremony scam. Perhaps this is like a parttime job on weekends. Typical questions are, 'Are you traveling alone?' and 'How long will you be here?'

The Shanghai Museum is excellent, and heated! Today, admission is free. I spend 3 hours there. I take the escalators to the 4th floor and work my way down. I did not see the audio guide rental, but wasn't looking very hard. Most sections have 1 sheet guides, written in Chinese, English, and Japanese. A serious young art student expresses surprise at seeing me, a foreigner, interested in Chinese art. He tells me most young Chinese are not very interested in Chinese art or history. I walk past the Shanghai Grand Theatre on the way back. The Chicago Symphony is playing tonight.