Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Day 83 Shanghai

Tuesday, rainy, gray, and cold. After a leisurely breakfast, I walk down Nanjing Road to the Bund, the historic raised river bank of the Huangpu River. While there are many skyscrapers on my side, the 3 tallest buildings in Shanghai are across the river in the financial district. I see ocean-going ships coming up the river. The Huangpu River runs into the Yangzi River, below where the Rickmers Jakarta was docked.

After taking a picture of a mulitiple kite on the Bund, the seller tries to make a sale. I make the mistake of asking how much. He offers a kite for 100 Yuan. I really don't want a kite. He follows me for a long time, eventually offering 5 kites for 100 Yuan. My hip is getting sore. I tell him 'no' in Mandarin, and he finally gives up. So, just don't ask. There are boat trips on the Huangpu, which I am told are spectacular at night, but it is too cold. Many doors push-in here. It is necessary to pull these doors to exit. McDonalds does doors the western way. Driving is on the right. In Hong kong, driving is on the other side.