Thursday, January 1, 2009

Day 78 South China Sea

Thursday, New Years Day, started sunny with blue sky. Last night, we were not able to see the fireworks from the ship. The clouds above the island reflected a little light twice, but that was it. Another passenger bought a bottle of champaign in Hong Kong and shared. The four of us had interesting conversation until 0130. Weighed anchor around 0345. I woke to an intermittent banging noise after 0430. Knew what it was, but I went up to the pilot deck with my flashlight to make sure before reporting it. The aft crane was stowed, but the hook was loose, so it was moving and banging with the rolls. Reported it to the duty officer, who got it properly secured right away.

The ship is bearing north toward Shanghai. I went to the focsl before lunch today. I wore my blue rain shell. The hood worked really well at keeping my hard hat from being blown away. Because of the strong wind from the port fore quarter, I walk on the starboard side both ways. It feels cold. I do not stay long. Chef Roger has prepared another feast. I probably ate too much. It is a good day for a nap. I skip supper. As the day progresses, the seas become rougher. From mid-afternoon, there are heavy swells from the direction we are headed. The good news is that the roll is not bad, but we get regular vertical movement, and occasional abrupt shifts. The sun turns Japanese red as it sets through the horizon haze layer. This is Beaufort scale 7 at least, maybe 8 or 9. I read about China. I am excited. I also read fiction, which goes so fast compared to some of the non-fiction I have been reading.