Sunday, November 2, 2008

Day 18 Philadelphia 5

Sunday
There was no sunset last night. Skies became overcast mid-afternoon.

Because of clouds on the horizon, I saw no sun until 8:30 this morning.
The temperature is brisk, 6 degrees C. That's about 43 F. With the
colder weather, there has been an abrupt change in the color of the
hardwoods.

I stay out of the way and under the radar, so I am granted bridge
privileges most of the time. The bridge has become my morning sun room.
I go there after breakfast to look at the charts, check position and
bearing, to see what is going on, and to read or write. There are raised
chairs on either side. One is only for the captain. I sit on the
opposite side of the bridge with my binoculars. There is a sill for my
coffee cup, book, and notebook.

We are still at the dock. I watched the loading of the 2 large armatures
from rail cars this morning. Very slow and careful. Two more slightly
smaller armatures appeared on a 100 ton semi trailer. Other large metal
items are being loaded, and another large crate. It is not just a matter
of loading items into a hold, or onto the deck. Items are chained or
otherwise braced and secured so they will not shift at sea.

May leave Philadelphia late this afternoon. I am ready.

Paid my monthly slop chest charge for October to the Captain this
morning. $8.00. The November charge will be higher.