Friday, November 14, 2008

Day 28 Afternoon in Antwerp

Wednesday, part 2. Written on Friday. So, after immigration, I went to Antwerp city center, near the Central train station. I had Euro-coffee at McDonalds, and studied my book. I had a Thomas Cook book on Belgium, which was helpful. When I came out, I noticed a hotel next door. Got a room for 2 night. I was pretty sure how to get to the Fine Art Museum, but I asked the hotel lady to confirm. She said it was a 15 or 20 minute walk. I think she had longer legs than me, because it took me more than 20 minutes. The collection was excellent in both its content and condition. The Museum claims the worlds largest collection of Rubens. I also saw restoration and cleaning work in progress. I'll name a small sample of others: van Eyck, Metsijs, Titiaan, de Vos, Braekeleer, Uden, van Cleve, Beuckelaer, Jordaens, van Dyck. The marble sculptures were excellent. The exhibitions were ok. Some of the later artists were ok. I liked Janssens, Wouters, Berghe-Lady in purple dress playing piano, Ensor-Rower, Modiglianai, Delavaux. There was one large section devoted to nudes.

There were many late 19th century and later artists I won't name. Sorry, slashes in canvas don't count. I walked more slowly back to the hotel, passing the triangle park. I had a small evening meal and Aleve, before sampling the red wine.