Friday, November 28, 2008

Day 44 Atlantic Ocean, last full day

Friday, overcast early, changing to blue skies and sunny. There are some whitecaps. Temperature at midday was 17 deg C, a relief from the last several days. The sailing has been smooth and the roll minimal. We have permission to visit the bridge again. After lunch, I walked to the focsl. Near the front of the upper main deck, before the ladder to the focsl, there was some splash from the swells. In the dry areas, the deck crew's eternal battle against rust and corrosion continues with chipping and painting. Even though I had 2 layers over my shirt, the sun was pleasant. I sat on a small hatch and enjoyed the warmth on my face for half an hour.

I check out with the duty officer when I leave the accomodation structure, and check back in when I return. At 1600 the sun streaming in through the west window makes my cabin toasty. I see 5 other slower ships behind us, headed in the same direction. We are scheduled to pass through Gibraltar in the early morning hours. I predict a drill tomorrow morning, and a party tomorrow evening.