Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Day 28 Antwerp!

Wednesday, horizon, sunny.
Yesterday, we docked about 1500. This port is huge and busy. Went
though a lock big enough to hold 4 ocean going ships. Many windmills
around, not the old Dutch kind, but the big new 3 blade jobs.

There are often special rules for passengers on freighters.
Tomorrow, the company will send a car for me to take me to
immigration. The car costs 20 Euros. Before we sail, I have to make
the same trip to get an exit stamp.

There are 2 possibilities I am considering right now. I could go to
Paris and try to get into the Louve. Plan B is to find a cheap hotel
in Antwerp and spend 3 days on Flemish art, and sampling Belgian red
wine, which the captain tells me is good. Uhh. Should know after my
next discussion with the captain.

My Bride tells me that she can track my travels by my charges. By
the way, international charging is not always as straight forward as
one might think. Foreign travel is a whole lot easier if you call
your credit card company in advance, and tell them where you will be
charging, and when. My list was long. The customer service person
kept saying, Is that it?

I finished GUNS, GERMS, and STEEL by Jared Diamond, a professor of
geography, which is always a topic of interest to travelers. I have
started his newer book COLLAPSE, How societies choose to fail or
succeed.