Monday, November 17, 2008

Day 33 Antwerp

Monday, cloudy, but no rain. Cabin temp is 65 F. Phoned home last night. I will miss the lefse this holiday.

The cargo transfer yesterday and today has been done by huge cranes from the dock. Two were drivable, with 54 rubber tires. One was on rails. They are taller than the ship, and move quickly and precisely. Watching from the bridge, I instinctively stepped back from the window, when one load came zooming by. Otherwise, it was another quiet day in port.

I wrote and read. Spent a few minutes in the German phrase book. Freut mich, Sie kennen zu lernen. The wine research continues. I began the first bottle of French Bordeaux last night. Wasn't anything to write home about, but it was better than 2 buck chuck. Tonight, I will start the research on Belgian dark chocolate. The cook loaned me a Time magazine with the Senate and House results. It is almost time to dine again, so over and out.