Friday, November 14, 2008

Day 29 Antwerp

Thursday, written on Friday. The room was nice. At first, I missed the roll of the ship. There was a bathtub. I thought about using it, but settled for showers.

After complimentary breakfast, I set off for MuHKA, the contemporary art museum. Noticed the domes of the old Government building on the way.

Some of the contemporary art was too avant garde for me, but I ended up spending 2 hours there. I enjoyed the photo images of several artists on the second floor. Most of them were part of a group show called The Order of Things. I particularly liked Theatrum Orbis Terrarum by Marjolijn Dijkman, and Hans Eijkelblooms photos. Each of his many frames contained 9 to 15 snaps of people with a common characteristic. Examples were men with beer bellies, blond young ladies, couples, men in blue dress shirts, people wearing plaid or stripes or a common color.

Two artists who will remain nameless, sucked in the director with this stuff. One had a large room with condoms hanging from the ceiling. Each contained one or more objects, mostly vegetables. The second had a pitch black room with recorded sound playing. Maybe a bulb was burned out, but I don't think so. I know I could make displays like that, but I don't even want to.

On one of the upper floors, Fekovic, the artist who prefers to be called Documentarista, made a video of the sheepdog of another artist, Heyboer,
who died at 81. Heyboer lived in a large building in the Netherlands with 4 wives and their 17 dogs. His 5th wife lives across the street. I'm not making that up.

Walked to the Maritime Museum. It is located in the old city castle, along the River Schelde. It was mostly about Emigration to America, and wartime events. The old ship models and artifacts were interesting,
as well as the models of the emmigrant ships.

I walked through the old market square and past the cathedral. Stopped for a snack before returning to the hotel for an Aleve and a decaf.

Continued to research the red wine with, and after supper.