Friday, November 14, 2008

Day 30 Antwerp

Friday.
The previous 2 days turned pleasantly sunny in the afternoon. Today
remained rainy all day.

After breakfast and checkout, I stopped at a pharmacy to buy some seasickness medicine in case I need it.

I wanted to see the Central Rail Station. It has been described as a cathedral. The outside is undergoing some renovation, but the inside is expansive and impressive and busy. So much marble.

Afterward, I walked through the diamond center, looking for the Diamond Museum. Never found it, but the street was very interesting. There were many well-fed men in black, with black hats and beards, scurrying about.

My last objective before returning to the ship was to get 2 bottles of red wine, so that the research may continue. I think red wine does not travel well by freighter, so the local wine has been a treat. I found no liquor stores. Had a hard time finding a supermarket until I remembered that in some cities, food markets are located in the basements of department stores or shopping malls.

One side of an aisle was red, the other white. I bought some decaf, 3 bars of dark chocolate, an apple, two bottles of wine. The checkout clerk winked at me and wished me a happy weekend. I think perhaps the wine will last longer than the weekend.

My taxi experience was not stellar, but I had been warned.

Back on the ship, I think the crew is gaining some confidence in my ability to find my way back.

The periodic maintenance on the ship continues. We will be here a few more days.