Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Day 20 Atlantic Ocean

Tuesday, 16 degrees C, visible sunrise.

Last night, my slop chest order was delivered; 12 gallons of water, 3
bottles of Merlot, 3 bottles of Cabernet.

Early morning, there was a low cloud cover. Now, mid-afternoon, since
mid-morning, the sky has been blue and the sun is bright.

The sea is quite smooth, perhaps Beaufort scale 1: Scaly ripples, no
foam crests. Walking outside on the Pilot Deck is easy and pleasant.

Speed is good. We are going straight across to Europe, not the great
circle route, which would take us further north. This is to avoid any
possible bad weather that is common further north, this time of year.

The great circle route is the shortest surface path between any 2
surface points. It is defined by an imaginary plane passing through
those 2 surface points and the center for the earth. It does not
consider the jet stream, currents, winds, or weather.

Breakfast this morning was my usual toast and coffee, plus a grapefruit
half. For the midday meal, most days I have a little salad and soup
over a scoop of rice, skipping the main course.

As I read and write on the bridge after breakfast, I can see no other
ships or smoke in any direction. A single small bird flies by.

I have my laptop configured to display 3 times now; CST, local, and
Greenwich Mean Time.

We'll be in Antwerp several days. I may take a side trip to Paris.
Going to need some extra Euros for that, I think.

Again, there is a time zone change tonight.